Sunday, January 28, 2007

Rockstar Supernova

Lori and I went and saw Supernova at the oakdale theatre last night.  It was very cool , and a lot of 
fun.  For those who don`t know , Rockstar Supernova was the Rock version of american idol where
contestants sang in competition to win the front man job for the band consisting of 
Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee, ex-Guns N’ Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke and ex-metallica bassist Jason Newsted.  

Lukas Rossi , the winner , brought his unique growling voice , along with his amazing falsetto , and general rockstar attitude to last nights show.  I thoroughly enjoyed the show , Lukas as front man transforms the "hard pop" music mostly written by tommy lee and clarke , into a new sound.  Lukas also performed his own song that I loved , Head Spin , that he wrote with his former band Rise Electric.  Listen to it here performed on the show.

Dilana , the chic that came in 2nd I think , maybe 3rd opened , followed by Toby the Aussie , and then Dave Navaros band Panic Channel.  Dilanas set was without a drummer , just 2 guitarists one of whom apparently was Magne ., a contestant.  She sang some originals and a great Black Crowes cover , She talks to angels , she definitely nailed it ... she has a wonderfully diverse voice and style.  Lori thinks she should`ve won ....she thinks the men were scared of a woman singer.  

Tobys band was o.k , kinda what I expected .  Hard poppy crapola , sung pretty well with good energy.  Nivarros band had a couple songs I recognized and I thought it was pretty cool.  Lori felt it was 80`s music only slightly updated.  

Finally SUPERNOVA , Damn that was fun.  Lukas just captivates you with his unique voice and quirky stage presence.  There were a couple of songs that stood out esp. his Head Spin song , as well as a ballady song that entranced you.  He performed a Rossi-style version of Bittersweet Symphony that was just tons of fun.  I really enjoyed the concert , I will admit that some of the songs written were not written with Rossi in mind , Toby or even Dilana would`ve made it sound more mainstream as was the spirit it was written in , Lukas at times doesn`t sound like he is singing in the english language , though his emotion drips with every syllable .  I think the band
picked rightly in Lukas who , as hinted, will play a bigger part in there next album.  He transforms everyday mainstream rock into something unique , palpable and emotional.  I would call it Grunge EMO . Lori I`m sure would disagree.  
  My other complaint , that Lori would definitely agree with , is that in the end we thought Dilana
would`ve sung a song with Lukas during the encore which was disappointingly short.  Dilana should`ve had more performance time , she in our minds , was a close 2nd if not possibly the best singer of the bunch.  I would`ve enjoyed more of her .  
All in all , I loved it ....Bought the CD on the way out .. The CD tames Lukas a bit and may make him more accessible to the average fan.
Kevin Beary


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't care about all this new music I'm still waiting for Elvis and Jim Morrison to come back and show the world what real rock is all about. You don't really believe their dead do you??? I had coffee and peanut butter sardine and bannana sandwiches with Elvis last week here in College point and he told me that Jim Morrison is driving a cab in downtown Peoria. Love to all. Peace. Dad