Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Yes , I am Handy!

I officially and successfully , through blood , sweat and tears , changed my first flat tire today.  
Well , its not really my First flat tire , but first in a long time , and maybe the first completely alone.  Why is this such an accomplishment ...
Woke up to a flat tire ... I whipped out my bicycle foot pump ...pumped the tire up to a driveable inflation and made my way to the first gas station to fill it up completely.  My intent was to at least make it to a service station I use near my job and beg a ride to work from there as they fix/replace my tire.  Well , i make it to the 1st gas station .....NO Air ... I rumble and bumble to a second one ....cringing at every revolution of the tire as it vibrates the car ....and for a mere 50 cents I may purchase air to inflate my tire ... Psssssssss.... goes the air hose as
it fills my tire and Pssssss at approximately the same rapid pace do I feel air blowing at my chin thru a hole in the sidewall that you can stick a finger thru.  DAMN !!@$#..Not gonna make it to work with that much of a leak.  Rumble and bumble back home ...gonna have to put on the spare

Well ...it only took me an hour and half or so because the crappy little jack and wrench that comes with most cars suck.  The screw-style jack doesn`t come with a crank handle so you have turn it with a screw driver , half a revolution at a time.  Once I have the tire lifted sufficiently and begin to remove it , the crappy ass jack kicks over ...Three freaking times.  I knew enough to put the e-brake on and a brick under the back tire to keep the car from moving , but you don`t need a lot of movement for the damn jack to kick.  The last time the tire was almost  off and the jack tipped over dropping the disc brakes onto the bottom of the tire and rim jamming it into place ..agghhh..This all happened prior to my first coffee !
So , at this time I call work to alert my lateness and complain about my situation .. and head out on foot for a coffee ... Appx half a cup of coffee and a mile or so round trip later , I tackle the jack again.  Success ... Wheel off , Donut style spare on ...remove jack successfully 
, tighten lug nuts ummm tightly...  I am victorious .. 
I am a credit to my gender .. I am Man ... I can change a tire..
  
  

No comments: